And then I was like, eff it; I'm becoming an animator...

A 'few' years back, I was lucky enough to work on a 48-hour film project with an awesome group of folks. I was a semi-aspiring-ish singer/songwriter at the time, and I offered to write a song for the movie, titled The Elusive Plexipus - a nice buddy-comedy-road-trip-gone-awry-hunting-for-bugs movie...you know, typical Michael Bay fodder. During the process, sitting with the ladies slapping together costumes on the back porch, I stated emphatically that I would under no circumstances use the word 'butterfly' in the song.

24 hours later, the song Chasing Butterflies was completed. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

They dropped the award for Best Original Song that year, so no hardware, but I got to make a wicked sweet cameo in the flick. Sadly, I was never able to top the success of the single, and resigned to a career in software. 

The song has been in my head a lot lately, as it seems awfully fitting for what I'm going through. Buried the lede with a shovel here, but I've decided to switch things up and pursue a career in animation.  That pesky creative side of the psyche has been fighting for years to get out, and I've finally decided to set it free and see what can happen. I can think of no good reason not to love what you do, and there's no better time to start to make the move.

I have an amazing wife that puts up with supports all my crazy ideas and I know I couldn't do it without her.  I'm not quite sure where this will take mebut I'm not out here on my own.

I'm starting this diary to document this insane journey, complete with all the missteps and wrong turns I will make along the way.  I hope to post content regularly on Vimeo, be it classwork or just random ideas that hit me, even the rough ones. 

Ten thousand hours starts today.

My Vimeo Profile

The AWARD-WINNING Film, The Elusive Plexipus



Chasing Butterflies
Matt Logan
Featured in the film: The Elusive Plexipus

Miles and miles stretch out before me
But I'm not out here on my own
Making one more stop as I move along this journey
Before I make my way back home
I'm not quite sure where this will take me
It doesn't matter where we go

'Cuz we're on our way
It's a brand-new day
Won't go it alone
I want you to be there
Need you standing by my side

Take the next wrong turn
Never reach our destination
We're headed for nowhere
Keep on searchin' through the skies
Like we're Chasing Butterflies

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Now it's more official-like